John and Frances sent me this challenge coin created to honor his 100th birthday last month. It came with a as note thanking me for being part of his birthday celebrations. John gives these coins out to friends and people he meets as a kind of souvenir. Various groups or private individuals pay to have them minted for him. Many current and former military personnel have these coins made and the ones from high-ranking officials can be very valuable to collectors. In John's case, the coins are highly prized because of his status as the oldest living Medal of Honor recipient.
This coin will join the silver one shown below that John autographed for me for the Coronado 4th of July Parade. This one is a bit odd as there is a typographical error on the reverse of the coin, but the overall design is very well executed.
- ► 2010 (11)
- How could they?
- The right note for Service
- Prepping for the Honor Run
- In Memorial
- Challenge Coins
- Along for the ride with Dwight and Sandy
- posters and stickers are here!!!!!
- Give them the sign
- A big hand for the folks at Fort Campbell
- A little gift for our new buddy Troy
- Metal of Honor posters will soon be available
- Heroes and History on John Finn's 100th Birthday
- Bumper Stickers off to press
- Confirmed for the Honor Run in September
- Appearance on YouServed Radio episode #50
- Supporting American jobs or Marketing dollars?
- ▼ August (16)