Supporting American jobs or Marketing dollars?

Filed under: , , by: PearlsofHonor



So here I am, working hard on chapters of my book Pearls of Honor: Their Duty to Remember, while Krystal (my Marketing Director, book designer, and whatever else she is doing for me today person) is busy trying to find a way to print this book here in America.

Since it is about American heroes and our economy needs all the help it can get, I really feel that I want to spend my money in America on this project. It's no small chunk of change, either to print a 200+ page book, hardbound with a lots of full page photos. We got one quote that was $68,000 for 5,000 books. I am willing to pay, but that does eat into the budget to market the book once it is printed. It could be HALF the price to print overseas. So you see where this is not a nickel and dime debate I am having with myself.

I want as many people as possible to learn about the tireless efforts of the Pearl Harbor Survivors Association and see for themselves how they work to Keep America Alert, but at the same time, you have to make decisions that are best for your business and allow you to reach the widest reading audience.

We've been asking around to printers and publishers we know in the industry, looking for a more affordable "Made in America" option, but it looks like we may have to send the printing overseas, most likely to China. It seems to be the only cost effective way to have a coffee table book done these days. We looked at the 7 or 8 big coffee table books I have here at the house and all of them were manufactured overseas.

Any suggestions out there in blogland for another option we can try?

Update 8-10-09: We have changed the orientation & size of the book and MIGHT be able to swing printing it in Ohio or Canada. Awaiting quotes now.

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

0 comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin